Monday, April 25, 2011


LOS ANGELES (KTLA) -- Actress Lindsay Lohan was released from jail Friday night on $75,000 bail after spending less than 5 hours in custody for a probation violation.

She was sentenced to 120 days in county jail after Judge Stephanie Sautner found that Lohan had violated the terms of her probation from a previous drunk-driving charge.

She was bailed out on $75,000 shortly before 9:30 Friday evening after her lawyer, Shawn Holley, filed a notice to appeal the sentence.

A jail captain told KTLA that the actress was "cooperative, cordial and optimistic" during her stay.

The actress was in court earlier in the day for a preliminary hearing in her jewelry theft case.

Sautner ruled that the theft case will proceed to trial, but she reduced the felony theft charge to a misdemeanor.

Sautner said Lohan should have notified the store about the necklace sooner, but instead waited until police were about to serve a search warrant at her house.

In addition to the jail time, Lohan was ordered to complete 480 hours of community service.

360 of those hours will be performed at the Downtown Women's Center, and the remaining 120 will be done at the L.A. County Morgue.

She was expected to be booked at the Lynwood Correctional Facility and then released on bail.

Lohan pleaded not guilty March 23 to charges she stole a $2,500 necklace from Venice jewelry store Kamofie and Co.

Sautner said Friday that Lohan had "earned a felony," but she was still reducing the charge to a misdemeanor. The judge also said the actress faces the possibility of a year in county jail.

Sautner said Lohan has received a lot of punishment for her DUI charge four years ago, and admitted she wanted "to give her an opportunity."

She ordered Lohan back in court on May 11 for a pretrial hearing. Her trial date was set for June 3.

During several hours of testimony on Friday, the owner of the Venice jewelry store took the stand.

Sofia Kaman testified that she noticed Lohan had left with the necklace about 10 minutes after she closed her store on Jan. 22.

She said Lohan had tried on the necklace, looking at it in the mirror for almost a half-hour, but did not buy it.

Kaman also said she had not given Lohan permission to borrow the piece.

Kaman testified that she reported the alleged theft to police the next day, after reviewing tapes from her security camera.

She also alleged Lohan covered the store's necklace up with her own necklace as she was walking out.

Kaman also spoke about her decision to license the security video. She said a lawyer had advised her to put out an "authentic" version of the video, and that the store had received no money from licensing of the video.

Earlier Friday, Kamofie and Co. employee Tinelli Comsookri testified about another incident involving Lohan that happened just four days before the alleged necklace theft.

Comsookri said that Lohan tried on a pair of diamond earrings on Jan. 18, and nearly walked out with one of them still in her ear.

She said Lohan apologized and removed the earring. Comsookri then emailed her bosses to inform them about what had happened.

The courtroom drama comes a month after Lohan chose not to accept a plea deal in the case.

The actress had two choices: accept a plea deal and go to jail for 90 days or refuse the plea deal and demand a trial on the felony grand theft charge.

The actress refused to consider any time in jail, continuously insisting she never took anything intentionally.

She tried to get Friday's court appearance postponed for religious reasons, citing the Good Friday holiday, according to reports, but her request was denied.

No comments:

Post a Comment